Home' Afloat : AFLOAT August 2015 Contents Take monthly with water August 2015 75
WIN! WIN! WIN!
After you have completed Jim Broadside’s
Quiz, mail your answers to AFLOAT,
PO Box 709, Willoughby, 2068 or fax to:
(02) 9417-8761 or email to info@afloat.
Winners will be drawn from entries received
by June 15 and they will receive a copy
of The Illustrated Atlas of Exploration or
Casting Off (see ad p73) courtesy of Boat
Books Crows Nest.
Answers to the Marine Trivia Quiz and the
winners’ names will be published next
02 9439 1133
Last month’s winners –
Xxxxx Xxxxx, Xxxxxx, QLD;
Xxxxx Xxxxx, Xxxxxx, NSW.
Nautical Quiz 228
compiled by Jim Broadside
1. The Australian Constitution (S51(x))
authorises the Commonwealth Parliament
to legislate for fisheries in Australian
waters beyond territorial limits.
2. July 2015 is notable astronomically
because NASA’s New Horizons Mission
flew past Pluto on 14 July at a distance
of 13,000kms and a speed of almost
3. The American author for whom fishing
was a passion was Zane Grey, who wrote
novels on the American west. He was
prominent in Australia and New Zealand
game fishing in the 1920s and ’30s.
4. The Official Hymn of the Unites States
Marines is the Marines’ Hymn. It is the
oldest official tune in the armed forces
of the United States.
5. In yachting circles, the acronym QLD
means a Quiet Little Drink.
6. A vessel is ‘by the head’ when her bow
floats lower than the stern due to poor
cargo or incorrect ballast placement.
7. A ‘bare pole charter’ is one where the hirer
of a vessel provides the crew and other
8. The largest vessel built in Australia
was Bulk Carrier Clutha Capricorn, built
at Whyalla for Clutha Development
Corporation, and launched in 1972 at
some 53,000 tonnes. It was scrapped in
China in 1984.
9. Boating in a noxious aquatic weed Cauler pa
infested area, requires that no specimens
be carried ashore on boating equipment.
Suspected incursions should be reported
to the relevant state authority.
10. If a tsunami warning is issued, a vessel
at sea should hold its position and not
return to port until further advised.
Answers to Marine Trivia Quiz 227
1. Alan Bond sponsored Australia’s
entry to the America’s Cup:
q On three occasions
q Four times
q Five times
2. A vessel and its passengers in
grave danger requires:
q Notifying the local Marine Rescue
q Use of mobile phone to contact police
q Activation of EPIRB
q All of the above
3. Overseas vessels discharge
annually in Australian coastal
q About 1 million tonnes of ballast water
q About 15 million tonnes
q About 150 million tonnes
4. The Australian Border Force
created 1 July 2015 is mainly
q Intercepting sea-borne refugees
q Updating the survey of our coastline
q Immigration/customs security at air
and sea ports and water ways
5. The first and last elements of
current CPR doctrine are:
q First – Check for Response ... Last –
q Send for Help ... Commence CPR
q Check for Danger to all present ...
Attach Defibrillator and follow prompts
6. Skippers should check bar
crossing conditions from:
q Local newspapers
q Notices on breakwaters
q Bar cameras
7. Boat registration fees are usually
based on boat length measured:
q From bowsprit extremity to transom
q From bow point to transom excluding
q From bow point to the furthest stern
8. Cyclone Raquel is notable in
meteorology because it:
q Was the first with a female name this
q Had no identifiable eye
q Occurred in the southern hemisphere
9. The ship’s name most used by the
Royal Australian Nav y is:
q HMAS Canberra
q HMAS Parramatta
q HMAS Sydney
10. Bermuda’s selection as host
for the 2017 America’s Cup
q Cutting edge support infrastructure
q Local cuisine and sightseeing
q Concurrence with prime time TV slots
in teams’ countries
Last month’s winners –
Dylan Burnett, Oyster Bay, NSW;
Anna Goderich, South Melbourne, VIC.
Discontinued Lines: Wet Weather Gear,
PFDs, Clothing, Footwear, Accessories.
1/5 Clyde Street, Rydalmere, NSW
E · firstname.lastname@example.org
W · www.marineoutlet.com.au
• Car Panels & Parts
• Structural Steel
• Yacht Mast & Fittings • Garden Furniture
• Handrails & Fence
• Bull Bars
• Gates & Security Grills • Cast Iron Lace
50 Orchard Rd
Links Archive AFLOAT July 2015 AFLOAT September 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page