Home' Afloat : September 2013 Contents Take monthly with water September 2013 61
WIN! WIN! WIN!
After you have completed Jim Broadside's
Quiz, mail your answers to AFLOAT, PO
Box 709, Willoughby, 2068 or fax to:
(02) 9417-8761 or email to info@afloat.
Winners will be drawn from entries
received by September 15 and they will
receive a copy of Sailing on the Edge or
Sail Smart (see ad p60) courtesy of Boat
Books Crows Nest.
Answers to the Marine Trivia Quiz and
the winners' names will be published
next month. Boat
02 9439 1133
8. A 'Letter of Marque' was a:
q Early form of vessel survey certificate
q Government licence to plunder
q Trophy awarded in motor yacht
9. The ancient name for the Dardanelles
q Gaba Tepe
10. Prior to 2013, nations that had won
the America's Cup number:
1. The first ship ordered for the new
Australian Nav y was :
2. The new Marine Safety System in
operation from 1 July 2013 is for:
q Domestic Commercial Vessel Safety
q Competition and Recreational Vessel
q Suspected Illegal Entry Vessels
3. Cruise ship MS Pacific is best known
for its role with:
q The film 'The Poseidon Adventure'
q Interior scenes for the film 'Titanic'
q TV series 'The Love Boat'
4. Sextant navigation by a moon (or star)
sight differs from a sun sight in that:
q The sextant's dark shades are not
used for a moon sight
q The polar angle formula is different for
sun and moon sightings
q A moon sight does not require a clear
view of the horizon
5. A 'schokker' is a:
q Dutch fishing vessel with a flat bottom
and straight stem
q Race where a yacht comes last after
having a man overboard
q Heavy pinch bar used to unjam a
6. The semaphore signalling system was
developed as a:
q Short distance means of
communication between vessels
q Long distance communication
between maritime headquarters and
q Secure alternative to the use of naval
radio during World War One.
7. The longest river in Victoria is the:
1. The RAN warship known as the 'Purple Pony'
is HMAS Toowoomba, an ANZAC Class Frigate.
The Ship's Crest derives from that city's
Coat of Arms which has a purple coloured
horse's head, representing the local equine
industry and the city's floral emblem -- the
Toowoomba violet (Viola Odorata).
2. Overall winner of the 23rd Women's Keelboat
Regatta at RMYS in June was Top Gun
skippered by Stephanie Strong, which won
each of the three categories contested -- IRC,
AMS and PHS.
3. The Sydney International Boat Show from
1-5 August 2013 was 'Like no other'.
4. In NSW, kayaks and canoes must give way
to any craft under sail. Prudence dictates
and users wear PFDs.
5. The first of its type ever built in Fiji, is
catamaran Malolo Cat IV, built on Malolo
Lailai Island over several years and launched
on 4 May. It cruises at 20 knots and will carry
up to 181 passengers.
6. A typical Mississippi River Barge with
a capacity of 1500 tons will carry the
equivalent of 13.4 Jumbo Hopper rail cars
or 58 large semi trailers. A 15 barge tow
will carry the equivalent of 870 large semi
7. The Louis Vuitton Cup held 4 July-30 August
2013 will determine the Challenger for the
America's Cup in September. The venue will
be San Francisco Bay and the boat type is
to be wing-sail Catamaran class AC72.
8. A 'goffer' is a non-alcoholic drink including
9. The 'grain' on a fishing vessel was a five
spiked harpoon attached to a line and used
to spear nearby fish such as dolphins.
10. The International Dateline runs generally
along the longitude of 180 deg with some
adjustments to avoid passing through island
groups such as Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and the
Answers to Quiz No 204
Last month's winners --
Brayden Watt, North Geelong, VIC;
Leo Cuthbert, Batemans Bay, NSW.
Marine Trivia Quiz 205
compiled by Jim Broadside
Special timber including Teak, Mahogany,
Sitka Spruce, Oregon,
Kauri, White Beech,
Qld Maple, Silver Ash
144 Renwick St,
02 955 88 444 www.anagote.com
SMALL HULL SURVEYS
PHONE 0417 491 930
FAX 02 9575 7343
Links Archive August 2013 October 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page